Homemade Gluten-Free Energy Balls Yield: 12-14 balls
This recipe is versatile and so easy to substitute in whatever ingredients you have on hand. Nuts and seeds can even be swapped for more coconut or oats!
- 1 cup nuts or seeds, any kind
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, any kind
- 3/4 cup dried, pitted dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup toasted gluten free oats, optional
- ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract, optional
- 2 cups hot water, or more as needed
- Boil 2 cups of water in a kettle or pot.
- Measure dried fruit, and then chop into small pieces.
- Pour the fruit into a medium bowl.
- Pour boiled water onto dried fruit, until fruit is fully covered with water. Let sit 5 minutes to soften.
- Use a colander to strain the dried fruit.
- Pour fruit and vanilla extract into a large pot.
- Mash the fruit and vanilla with a potato masher until it becomes a sticky paste, that looks like a thick jam.
- Use a big knife to chop nuts/seeds.
- Add the nuts and all other remaining ingredients to the fruit paste and use a spatula to mix well.
- The mixture is ready when a hand full of the mixture holds together in a ball.
- If it doesn’t hold together, add 1 Tbsp of water at a time, until it does.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time, rolling into balls.
- Set the energy balls on a 9×9 inch square pan or on a plate as you go.
- Once finished, wrap the pan and put in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
Note: If you have a food processor, you can skip softening the fruit in water, add all ingredients to the bowl, chop until a sticky paste is formed, and roll the energy balls.